Our History

The Denison Reformed Presbyterian Church was organized as the North Cedar Reformed Presbyterian Church on October 6, 1871, with 56 charter members. As with many churches, its history began a couple of years before organization. Several families of Covenanters settled in an area that in 1887 would become the city of Denison. They met for prayer meetings and Sabbath School in a rock school house that stood where the co-op feed mill later existed. In 1872 more Covenanter families, including the Rev. J.S.T. Milligan (who would become the church’s first resident minister) moved to the area from Michigan. In 1872 it was reported to Synod that the church had 28 families and 84 members. The Sabbath School had increased to 150 scholars. 

A daughter of Rev. Milligan, our first pastor, left this written memory: “Buffalo Bill used to visit his sister, Mrs. George Myers, and, as the U.P. church had not yet been organized, she brought Buffalo Bill to our church on one of these visits to hear Father preach. It was a great event, and we Milligan children have always been happy to tell how the strikingly handsome Buffalo Bill sang the Psalms with the rest of us, as joyously as a lark.” 

A temporary tabernacle was built on a three-acre site, the church’s current location just north of the city of Denison. This location was a compromise between two groups of R.P. families in the area, one group living north of Denison and the original group located south of North Cedar Creek which is just south of Denison. This was a one-room 24x36 feet building with benches around the edge, not very well built. The roof was too heavy for the structure and in 1883, renovation was completed in time for worship on September 30. The following day, a windstorm totally destroyed the building. 

The current church building was built in 1884. The original plan was for a stone building with a basement, but the plan was changed to a more modest frame structure. In 1900 the congregation’s name was officially changed from North Cedar to Denison Reformed Presbyterian Church. By the 1950’s a basement was urgently needed for classrooms, restrooms, kitchen, and space for fellowship meals. After many hours of hard work and cooperation, our men labored, and the basement was completed. Other projects have taken place over the years to maintain our building. 

Twelve pastors (including one “stated supply”) have served our congregation since 1871, each called by our Lord to serve for different numbers of years. J.S.T. Milligan served from 1871-1891, followed by Wm Littlejohn in 1893-1896 and S.R. Wallace in 1899-1902. D.H. Elliott came in 1904. During his tenure an additional Sabbath School was organized and services were held 4 miles south of Denison. He was followed immediately by Elmer G. Russell in 1913. At this time communicant membership increased to 130 with 184 attending Sabbath School. W.O. Ferguson came in 1920. He had a gift for personal friendship both among his own parishioners and in the community, which strengthened and preserved the spiritual gains made the previous 16 years. He resigned in 1933 when the blight of the depression seemed to have overtaken the congregation, spiritually as well as materially. Stated supply J.C. Mitchell’s quiet strength and wise counsel came when it was most needed. T.M. Hutcheson was called in 1937 when he finished seminary. The coming of WW II brought changes through which the Hutchesons gave freely of themselves in understanding, encouragement and prayer. After 12 years he was called to mission service in Cyprus. M.W. Dougherty served from 1951-1964, during the time the church basement project was completed. He was called to become editor of the Covenanter Witness. Kenneth McBurney was installed in 1965. New elders and deacons were elected and many of our young men were called for military duty. J. Edward Hindman came in 1977 and served 43 years. Caleb S. Allen came to Denison amid the pandemic which included many challenges. Officer training studies were held followed by an election. Sermons can now be heard world-wide. 

Some from our congregation were called to serve on mission fields (A.I, JK and Elizabeth Robb, Ella and Jennie Torrence, Dr. J.M and Nannie Wright, all to China) (Mary Robertson and Anna Milligan to Egypt) (Remo Robb, Mabel Braum Caskey, T.M. and Marjorie Hutcheson and Eleanor Faris to Cyprus, then Eleanor served in Japan for many years); one son of the congregation, Paul Faris, became a pastor. Many who grow up in our rural community, relocate for jobs and serve as officers in urban churches of our denomination. 

Thankful for a glorious heritage and for all the innumerable evidence of God’s grace, we like Paul of old “press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.”